Serious Eats: Recipes
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
This recipe is inspired by the Chocolate-Covered Hi-Hats from Elinor Klivans in Cupcakes!
The recipe for peanut butter buttercream is adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
- When preparing buttercream, make sure the butter is soft, or it won't easily incorporate into the buttercream.
- If you don't have a pastry bag or tip, fill a zip-lock bag with buttercream and then snip 1/2 inch off corner.
- Avoid letting the bowl touch the simmering water, or it will overheat the mixture.
- You will have leftover chocolate coating. This is purposefully done so that there is enough to easily dip each cupcake. Freeze leftovers for the next time.
- Store the cupcakes in a cool, dry place to enjoy a creamy, soft buttercream. For continued storage, refrigerate. Before serving, allow cupcakes to come to room temperature to re-soften the buttercream.