- I like to use Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers in the cookie crust. You can substitute chocolate graham crackers, just decrease the sugar by half.
- If you don't have a food processor, place the cookies in a zip-lock bag and mash with a rolling pin.
- If the mixture seems too dry, you can add a small amount of melted butter. Using a measuring cup, firmly press the crust mixture into the pie plate.
- It's important to have the cream cheese softened in order to avoid lumps.
- Chilling the cocoa cream before whipping helps to dissolve the sugar and cocoa into the cream. And make sure to whip the cocoa whipped cream to almost stiff peaks. This will help it keep it's shape when you slice the pie.
- When making the chocolate shavings, it helps to have the chocolate at room temperature.
- This pie can be made up to 2 days ahead.
- Yield:10 to 12
- Active time: 45 minutes
- Total time:4 hours
- For the Chocolate Cookie Crust:
- 6 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (about 27 wafers)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For the Pumpkin Mousse:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- For the Spiced Cocoa Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- pinch ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves
- For the Garnish:
- 3 ounce bar bittersweet chocolate
In food processor, process chocolate wafers and sugar until finely ground. Add melted butter and pulse to moisten. Transfer mixture to pie plate and firmly press into bottom and up sides. Set in fridge to chill while you make the pumpkin mousse.
In large bowl, stir cream cheese, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves until completely incorporated. Stir in pumpkin and vanilla until smooth and incorporated.
In bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip cream on medium-high speed until cream holds soft peaks that slowly dip down when whisk is pulled out of cream. Using rubber spatula, gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour mousse into pie shell and chill in fridge while you prepare the cocoa whipped cream.
Into unwashed mixer bowl, add all ingredients for the spiced chocolate whipped cream and chill in fridge for 30 minutes. Place bowl in standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment and whip on medium-high speed to almost stiff peak. Spread over top of pumpkin mousse. Chill pie until set, about 3 hours.
Place chocolate bar on work surface. Using paring knife, scrape chocolate shavings from bar and use to garnish top of pie.