Heather-infused vodka "picks up the heather notes of Scotch," with honey, lemon, and housemade lavender bitters; it's light and refreshing, a big twist of lemon on top bringing the brightness of citrus. "The first experience you get of a cocktail is a nose. You need a huge twist." It's one of their top sellers, among both men and women, feminine though its name may sound. "Some guys might not order it because 'Lady' is in the title—but, dude, do you know the story? She fixes his sword. This is a really phallic drink, bro."
Don't be put off by the lavender bitters and steeped vodka; the process "couldn't be easier," says McCarthy. "Get overproof vodka. Put lavender in it. Let it sit. That's it."
Note: Honey syrup is honey cut with equal parts hot water, making it easier to work with and mix.
- For the cocktail:
- 1 dash lavender bitters (see recipe below)
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce honey syrup (see notes)
- 1 1/2 ounce heather flower-infused vodka (see recipe below)
- Lemon twist
- For the lavender bitters:
- 1 750-ml bottle 140-proof vodka (Devil's Spring recommended)
- 20 tablespoons lavender flowers
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorn
- 1/2 tablespoon cardamom
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander
- 1 clove
- For the heather flower-infused vodka:
- 6 tablespoons heather flowers
- 1 750-ml bottle vodka
To make the lavender bitters: In a jar with a sealable lid, combine overproof vodka and all remaining ingredients. Let steep for one week. Strain before using.
To make the infused vodka: In a jar with a sealable lid, combine vodka and heather flowers. Let steep for two days. Strain before using.
To make the cocktail: Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into coupe. Squeeze lemon twist on top of drink and add as garnish.