- This recipe can be easily halved. Use a 9x9-inch pan and decrease baking time to approximately 25 minutes.
- I like the chewiness that the crust offers, but if a softer bread pudding is desired, trim the bottom crust from the bread.
Hot Chocolate Bread Pudding
About This Recipe
|Active time:||1 hour|
|Total time:||2 1/2 hours|
|Special equipment:||9x13-inch baking dish|
|This recipe appears in:||Chocoholic: Hot Chocolate Bread Pudding|
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces French bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- For the Whipped Cream
- 12 ounces heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Grease 9x13-inch baking dish with butter; set aside. In large bowl, whisk eggs, granulated sugar, and salt until lightened, about 30 seconds; set aside.
In medium saucepan, whisk brown sugar with cocoa to combine. Whisk in milk and cream and heat over medium heat until warm. Whisk in bittersweet chocolate, espresso powder, and cinnamon until chocolate is melted. Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until combined. Whisk in vanilla extract.
Add bread cubes to chocolate mixture and gently toss to evenly moisten bread. Let sit to allow bread to thoroughly saturate, 30 to 45 minutes, occasionally pressing bread gently with rubber spatula. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees F.
Gently pour bread mixture into prepared baking dish. Tuck chopped semisweet chocolate into bread pudding, evenly distributing. Bake until pudding is just set in center, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool about 30 minutes before serving.
In chilled bowl of standing mixer fitted with whip attachment, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft peak. Serve with bread pudding.