- For Cake:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- For Glaze:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 9 inch springform pan.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, baking powder, and salt.
Add 1/3 of flour mixture to wet ingredients. Beat to combine. Add 1/2 of milk and beat to combine. Add remaining flour in two additions, alternating with last of milk. Beat in orange zest.
Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake until golden and a cake tester comes out clean, about 90 minutes.
While cake is cooling, make glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice and confectioners' sugar until smooth.
When cake is cool, pour 1/2 of glaze over top of cake. When first layer of glaze has begun to dry, top with remaining glaze.