Fresh cranberries have so much potential beyond that little dollop of sauce sitting next to the Thanksgiving turkey, but it often goes unexplored. Why not round out your cranberry season with this healthful smoothie? It has a mild cranberry flavor with hints of banana, orange, and spice and is an easy way to pack a little more cranberry goodness into your life before the season disappears.
About the author: Carolyn Cope is the voice behind the popular food blog Umami Girl. A recent transplant to London, she's trying her best to act nonchalant in the company of courgettes and aubergines. Find her on Facebook and Twitter.
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 medium frozen banana, peeled and sliced
- 2 clementines, peeled, seeded, and broken into sections
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted (or substitute 2 tablespoons sweetener of your choice)
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice (or water)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ice
- Splash of sparkling water, optional
Combine cranberries, banana slices, clementine sections, water, vanilla, cinnamon, and ice in a blender and puree until perfectly smooth. Divide between two tall glasses and, if desired, stir a good splash of sparkling water into each. Serve immediately.