The following recipe is from the November 30 edition of our weekly recipe newsletter. To receive this newsletter in your inbox, sign up here!
There is much to love about this Endive, Apple, and Farmhouse Cheddar Salad with Country Ham and Wheat Beer Dressing from Andrew Carmellini's American Flavor: sharp, tangy cheddar, crisp fall apples, creamy, citrusy wheat beer, and salty slices of country ham all balanced out with leaves of bitter endive and radicchio. All you need to do for a perfect winter lunch is add a slice or two of crusty bread and pour the rest of the beer into a glass.
Endive, Apple, and Farmhouse Cheddar Salad with Country Ham and Wheat Beer Dressing
About This Recipe
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
- For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup wheat beer
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or corn oil
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 head Belgian endive, leaves cut into large pieces
- 1 head radicchio, cut into chunks
- 1/4 pound thin-sliced country ham or prosciutto
- 2 Gala apples (or whatever’s local, crunchy, and in season), sliced thin
- 1/4 pound sharp farmhouse cheddar, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Salt to taste
- Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
To make the Dressing: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the beer, honey, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice.
Whisk in the grapeseed and olive oils, pouring slowly and whisking constantly so that everything emulsifies.
Add the salt and pepper, and whisk again.
To make the salad and finish the dish: Pile the endive, radicchio, ham, apples, cheddar, and parsley into a large bowl, leaving aside a slice or two of the ham for each person.
Taste the salad and season it with salt and pepper to your taste.
Scoop the salad onto individual plates. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and then drape a little ham on top of each serving. Adjust the seasoning if you like, then serve it up right away.