This recipe appears in:Hangover Helper: How to Make Choriqueso at Home
- 1/2 pound ground pork shoulder
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8th teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8th teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium clove garlic, grated on a microplane grater
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pounds grated queso Oaxaca, Monterey Jack, or low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- Warm corn or flour tortillas or tortilla chips for serving
Preheat broiler to high. Combine pork, vinegar, cinnamon, paprika, oregano, cumin, cayenne, garlic, and salt in a medium bowl and mix with your hands until combined. Heat vegetable oil in a 10-inch broiler-safe skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chorizo mixture and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon and breaking up the meat until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with more salt and remove from heat.
Top with grated cheese and place under broiler until melted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately with warm tortillas or chips.