This recipe appears in:Ask The Food Lab: Can I Stir-Fry On An Electric Cooktop? Use Popeye's Chicken Nuggets to Make Awesome Homemade Chinese-American Food
Note: For best results, use Popeye's chicken nuggets or popcorn shrimp. Other brands will work if necessary.
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese chili paste
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic (about 2 teaspoons
- 1 teapsoon minced fresh ginger
- A half dozen dried red whole chilis
- 18 to 24 pieces Popeye's Chicken Nuggets, or 3 order Popeye's Popcorn Shrimp
- 3 scallion greens, sliced
Combine stock, soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin, chili paste, sesame oil, sugar, and cornstarch in a small bowl and mix with a fork until blended and smooth.
Heat oil in a large wok over high heat until smoking. Add garlic and ginger and stir fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Immediately add whole chilies and chicken nuggets and toss to combine. Add sauce and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened into a thick glossy glaze. Transfer contents immediately to a hot plate and serve with steamed rice.