- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup best quality unsweetened cocoa powder (such as Valrhona)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, espresso, salt, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined.
Add flour mixture to bowl in two additions, each time beating just until mixed. Stir in walnuts.
Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate one hour.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Drop dough by the tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies until just starting to crack on top, but not totally dry, about 12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.