This recipe appears in:The Food Lab: The Road To Better Risotto
Note: I prefer using Carnaroli rice for its slight longer grains and firmer texture. Feel free to use any risotto-style rice like Arborio or Vailone Nano.
- 1 1/2 cups (about 13.5 ounces) risotto-style rice (see note)
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine (optional—can be replaced with extra broth)
- 2 tablespoons butter (plus more for finishing if desired)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, grated on a microplane grater (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 small shallots, finely minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- 3 ounces finely grated parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped herbs or other garnishes, as desired
Combine rice, chicken stock, and wine in a large bowl. Agitate rice with fingers or a whisk to release starch. Strain through a fine mesh strainer set in a 2-quart liquid cup measure or other large bowl. Allow to drain five minutes, stirring rice occasionally.
Heat butter and oil in a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until foaming subsides. Add rice and cook, stirring and tossing frequently until all liquid is evaporated, fat is bubbling, and rice has begun to take on a golden blond color and nutty aroma, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and shallots and continue to cook, stirring frequently until aromatic, about 1 minute. Give reserved broth a good stir and pour all but one cup over the rice. Increase heat to high and heat until simmering. Stir rice once, cover, and reduce heat to lowest possible setting.
Cook rice for ten minutes undisturbed. Stir once, shake pan gently to redistribute rice, cover, and continue cooking until liquid is mostly absorbed and rice is tender with just a faint bite, about 10 minutes longer.
Remove lid and add final cup of liquid. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring and shaking rice constantly until thick and creamy. Off heat, fold in heavy cream and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in herbs as desired. Serve immediately on hot plates.