- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup roasted green chiles, roughly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 2 pounds neck bones
- chopped cilantro to garnish
Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan or soup pot. Add the neckbones and pan-fry until brown on all sides, 5 to 8 minutes. Brown the meat in batches if necessary.
Add the onions and the garlic to the pot and cook until browned. Add water to cover. Stir in the cumin, black pepper, oregano, bay leaves, and chopped green chile.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours. Add the potatoes cook for 45 minutes longer. With an immersion blender, puree the potatoes and chile until you achieve a consistency you like. (Or , transfer some of the potatoes and chile to a blender and puree.) Top with cilantro and serve hot.