Garlicky Broccoli Rabe, Fresh Mozzarella, and Tomato Jam Sandwich from Cutty's
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 2 large sandwiches serving 2 to 4|
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||2 hours|
- For the Tomato Jam
- 1 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the Broccoli Rabe
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- To Assemble
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, drained and thinly sliced
- Kosher Salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large sesame-seed cemita-style rolls (or any soft crusty sandwich roll)
For the tomato jam: Combine tomatoes, lemon juice, ginger, sugar, cumin, black pepper, pepper flakes, and salt in a medium heavy-bottomed sauce pot and cook over medium-high heat until bubbling. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and syrupy, about 1 hour. Cool the jam, season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the broccoli rabe: Bring a gallon of water to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli rabe and 2 tablespoons salt. Cook, stirring constantly until water returns to a boil, about 1 minute. Transfer broccoli to bowl of ice water and let sit 2 minutes. Drain well in a salad spinner and chop into 1-inch pieces. Transfer to medium bowl.
Add garlic, pepper flakes, and olive oil to a small skillet and heat over low heat until garlic is sizzling, about 5 minutes. Pour garlic oil over broccoli rabe and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in cheese.
Split sandwich rolls. Spread a few tablespoons tomato jam on top side of rolls. Spread broccoli rabe on bottom sides and top with mozzarella. Season with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Close sandwiches and toast on a panini press or in a large skillet weighted down with a Dutch oven until crisp and melted. Cut as desired and serve.