- For the Star Anise Simple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons star anise (or about 5 stars)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- For the Cocktail
- 2 ounces rye whiskey
- 1/2 ounces beet juice (preferably fresh-squeezed)
- 3 ounces cold-pressed apple cider
- 1/2 ounce star anise simple syrup
- Star anise for garnish
For the Star Anise Simple Syrup: Simmer star anise, sugar and water for 10 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar. Strain into a small bottle with a lid or cork. Store in the refrigerator.
For the Cocktail: Fill a tumbler halfway with ice. Add rye, beet juice, cider, and star anise simple syrup. Stir gently. Garnish with star anise.