Recipe by Hasni Ghazali, Bentara Restaurant, New Haven, CT
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 4 oz. thinly sliced beef or chicken (or 4 oz peeled shrimp or sliced tofu)
- 1 cup sauce (mix 1 cup of ketchup with 2 1/2 cups of Bentara Sweet Chili Sauce
- 4 cups homemade or low-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 8 oz. cooked egg noodles
- 1 leaf cabbage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 2 stalks of yu choy (or substitute with baby spinach, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 oz. bean sprouts
In a wok or medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, add garlic, shallots and onions and stir fry until lightly browned but not burned, about 2 minutes. Add the meat and continue cooking until the meat is almost cooked through, about 2 more minutes.
If using shrimp or tofu, add them towards the end of cooking together with the noodles, as both need less time to cook.
Add in the sauce, broth, peanuts, pepper and salt. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add in cabbage and carrots and simmer until the meat and the vegetables are cooked through about 3 minutes.
Add the noodles, the yu choy and bean sprouts and bring to a boil.
Serve garnished with a lime wedge and the other garnish ingredients, if using.