- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups packed, grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 pieces thick cut bacon, cooked and diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 425° F. Butter or line 12 muffin cups or paper muffin liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cayenne, pepper, and paprika. Add 1 cup cheese and bacon and stir until well combined.
In a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Let cool one minute then whisk in milk. Add egg and beat lightly until combined.
Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Stir until evenly combined.
Pour batter 3/4 way up muffin cups. Sprinkle cups with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake muffins until golden on top and a cake tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes.