Check out other recipes from Serious Entertaining: Labor Day Grill Out »
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint blueberries
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.
In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla extract and milk until well combined.
Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pie plate. Top batter with blueberries as evenly as possible. Sprinkle top of cake with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 325°F. Continue to bake until top of cake is golden and a tester comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.