Sometimes a bit of spice in a cocktail is just the right thing to remind you that you're still alive. Here's a simple drink that can be adjusted to suit both those who crave heat, and those who like it a bit more mild. It's dynamite with tequila, but you can also make a smoky version with mezcal, or a more herbal version with gin.
- Half of 1 ripe strawberry
- 1 stalk cilantro, chopped in 3 pieces
- 2 thin slices cucumber
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 ounce agave nectar
- 1/8 ounce amaro (I used Averna)
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 drops Sriracha, or more to taste
- Garnish: 3 thin slices cucumber
Muddle strawberry, cilantro, and two cucumber slices. Add lime juice, agave nectar, amaro, tequila, and Sriracha. Fill shaker with ice.
Shake vigorously and double-strain into an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with remaining cucumber slices.