- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Granulated or raw sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to rub butter into flour mixture. Add buttermilk and stir until dough forms. Stir in oats until evenly distributed. Mix in raisins.
Form dough into a ball and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle top of loaf with sugar.
Bake loaf until golden and a cake tester comes out clean, about 40 minutes.