This light, creamy pie plays upon the classic ice cream truck favorite. The filling gets its subtle orange flavor from concentrated orange juice, and the creamy, vanilla notes come from the addition of instant pudding and cream cheese. I like to use my recipe for Oat Crumble Crust for this pie, but if you're strapped for time graham cracker crust will also work well. Top it with Candied Orange Zest, for a little extra orange flavor and color.
- 1 recipe Oat Crumble Pie Crust, shaped in a pie plate and chilled (timesaver: 1 packaged, frozen graham cracker crust)
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 packages instant vanilla pudding mix (3.4 ounces each)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Garnish: Candied Orange Zest or crushed orange candies
Whisk together evaporated milk, pudding mix, and zest in a bowl for 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
Beat cream cheese and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add orange juice concentrate, beating until smooth; add evaporated milk mixture, and beat until blended.
Pour into crust. Cover and chill 8 hours or until firm.
Combine cream and confectioner's sugar in a bowl and whip with a whisk until it holds soft peaks. Dollop or pipe each slice with whipped cream, and garnish with candied zest or candy if desired.