Adapted from Kansa by Elizabeth Andoh.
- 2 packs natto, about 1.5 oz each
- 1 tablespoon dried wakame (about 1/4 cup rehydrated), finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- For seasoning the natto:
- 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot mustard
- 12 spring roll wrappers
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Mix the natto with the seaweed and scallions. Add the packets of soy sauce and mustard that come with the natto, or use the seasonings listed above.
Have ready a stack of defrosted spring roll wrappers.
Roll the natto mixture in the spring rolls, sealing your rolls closed with a dab of the cornstarch slurry.
In a wok, heat the oil to 350°F. Deep the spring rolls until the shells are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Serve immediately.