Ah, the Alps: that idyllic countryside, full of birdsong and blooming edelweiss and the sound of music. The mere mention of the Alps evokes images of hot chocolate and flaxen-haired milkmaids, but why? But perhaps instead it should make us think of this delightful brunch drink, a drunken coffee enhanced with a little kirsch and Frangelico.
- Yield:1 cocktail
- Total time:1 minute
- 8 ounces brewed coffee (hot)
- Sugar and cream to taste (optional)
- 1.5 ounces Frangelico or other hazelnut liqueur
- 1.5 ounces kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- Whole nutmeg for grating
- Dark chocolate bar for shaving
Pour coffee into 12 ounce mug (add sugar or cream to taste, optional). Stir in Frangelico and kirsch. Top with whipped cream. Grate nutmeg (3 or 4 scratches) onto whipped cream with microplane or nutmeg grater.
Shave chocolate by scraping a chef's knife across chocolate bar. Add a few curls of chocolate to cocktail and serve immediately.