- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:1 hour, 40 minutes
- 2 cups shortbread cookie crumbs (See Notes)
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, finely ground
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh cherries, stemmed, pitted, and halved
- 3/4 cup Amaretto liqueur
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups mascarpone
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
In medium bowl, combine shortbread crumbs, 1/4 cup brown sugar, almonds, butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Press into bottom and up sides of tart pan. Bake until light golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring 3/4 cup cherries, 1/2 cup Amaretto, sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt to boil in small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thick and syrupy, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Add remaining fresh cherries and toss to coat. Set aside.
Combine water and gelatin in small bowl. Microwave until gelatin dissolves, about 20 seconds. Cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
In medium bowl, whisk together mascarpone, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup Amaretto, vanilla, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and cooled gelatin mixture until smooth.
Spread mascarpone mixture in cooled tart shell and top with cherry mixture.
Chill at least 30 minutes before serving.