Note: The most important part of a Bloody Mary is the tomato juice. Use a high quality juice, preferably not from concentrate. No need to use your best vodka here. Bottom shelf stuff will do fine. You can replace the celery salt rim with a salt and pepper rim if you prefer. Every ingredient should be adjusted to suit your own personal taste. I love horseradish. You might not.
- 1 tablespoon celery salt or (or plain kosher salt, if you prefer)
- 1/4 lemon, cut into two wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or less to taste)
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Franks)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated horseradish (or 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish)
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces high-quality tomato juice
- 1 stick celery
Place celery salt in a shallow saucer. Rub rim of 12-ounce tumbler with 1 lemon wedge and coat wet edge with celery salt. Place lemon wedge on rim of glass. Fill glass with ice.
Add Worcestershire, soy, black pepper, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and horseradish to bottom of cocktail shaker. Fill shaker with ice and add vodka, tomato juice, and juice of remaining lemon wedge. Shake vigorously, taste for seasoning and heat, and adjust as necessary. Strain into ice-filled glass. Garnish with celery stalk and serve immediately.