This recipe appears in:Serious Entertaining: A Bavarian-Style Alpine Feast Serious Entertaining: Pick Some Apples Already!
Check out other recipes from Serious Entertaining: Bringing The Biergarten Home »
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium head purple cabbage, chopped, about 12 cups
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 gala apple, cut into matchsticks
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook for one minute. Add cabbage, raisins, caraway seeds, and apple cider and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add apples and cook, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes. Add apple cider vinegar and cook, stirring occasionally for three minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.