Like a cross between a Bloody Maria and a Paloma, this slightly spicy cocktail is lightened with lemon juice and a splash of grapefruit soda (Mexican Squirt is recommended, but Fresca will do in a pinch.) Cholula hot sauce makes it just a little hot, and Clamato adds complexity. Don't worry, you won't taste the clam juice. (Though this would be an excellent accompaniment to a spread of oysters, shrimp, and clams.)
This recipe is adapted from Deborah Schneider's Amor y Tacos.
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila (100% agave)
- 1 teaspoon Mexican hot sauce such as Cholula
- 1 ounce Clamato
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Mexican Squirt or other grapefruit soda
- lemon wheel or wedge to garnish
Fill a 10-ounce glass with ice. Scatter salt on the ice, then pour in the tequila, hot sauce, Clamato, and lemon juice. Top up the glass with grapefruit soda and stir gently. Garnish with lemon and serve immediately.