Check out other recipes from Serious Entertaining: Memorial Day »
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces or 1 pound baby carrots, cut into thirds
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and cut in half
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
In a medium saucepan, combine garlic, coriander, red pepper, and carrots. Cover with water. Let come to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until carrots are crisp but can be easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
Pour carrots into a large bowl. Add red onion, olives, and cilantro. Toss to blend.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, toast cumin until fragrant, 1 minute. Take off heat and add lemon juice and olive oil. Pour cumin mixture over carrots and olives. Toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper.