Note: for a heartier quesadilla, add 1 to 2 ounces of shredded chicken, cooked mushrooms, cooked beans, or any other desired filling to the cheese mixture before stuffing them.
Quesadilla Fritas (Fried Quesadillas) with Pickled Jalapeños, Cilantro, and Chipotle Crema
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 2 quesadillas, serving 2 to 4|
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
- 1 chipotle pepper canned in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup Mexican Crema, or 3 tablespoons sour cream mixed with 1 tablespoon milk
- Two 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 ounces (1/4 pound) grated Jack, Cheddar, or Oaxacan string cheese
- 2 to 3 ickled Jalapeños, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
Spread half of cheese over one half of one tortilla, leaving a small border around the edge. Fold tortilla firmly in half to enclose the cheese. Repeat with remaining tortilla.
Heat oil in a 10-inch nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully add both folded tortillas to skillet and cook, shaking pan gently until first side is golden brown and puffed, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully fip tortillas with a flexible slotted spatula, sprinkle with salt, and cook on second side until golden brown and puffed, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to rest 1 minutes. Cut each into four pieces, drizzle with chipotle crema, garnish with cilantro, and serve, passing extra crema tableside.