- Yield:6 as an appetizer
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 1 head of garlic, skin on
- Black peppercorns in a cheesecloth
- 1 bay leaf
- bundle of fresh herbs
- 1 pound brains (lamb, pork, or calf)
- All purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 quart vegetable oil for deep-frying
- For the green sauce:
- 1 bunch parsely, leaves only
- 1/2 bunch dill
- 1 small can of anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 12 cloves of garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon capers, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a 2 quart pot of water to simmer and add in the garlic, peppercorns, and herbs. Simmer for 15 minutes. Then gently lower the brains into the pot and simmer for 6 minutes. Remove the brains with a slotted spoon and let cool. When the brains are cold and firm, separate the lobes into 2 inch chunks.
Meanwhile, prepare 3 bowls with the flour, the egg whisked with milk, and the breadcrumbs.
Heat the oil to 350°F. Roll each brain segment in flour, then coat it in the egg mix, then coat it in the breadcrumbs. Deep-fry the brain until they are golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with green sauce.
To make green sauce: Finely chop herbs and mix with the anchovies, garlic, and capers. Add enough olive oil so that the mixture is spoonable but not runny. Season with black pepper.