- Yield:Makes 16 1 1/2 inch biscuits
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 2 cups low protein flour (see headnote)
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup very cold vegetable shortening
- 2/3 - 3/4 cups cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 pound of country ham or proscuitto sliced the thickness of heavy card stock
Preheat oven to 500°F.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt into large bowl.
Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of peas.
Blend in just enough milk with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl. (A biscuit that is a little wet is better than one that is on the dry side.)
Knead gently 2 to 3 times on lightly floured surface.
Gently roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
Cut using floured 1 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
Place on baking sheet 1 inch apart.
Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.
Once cool, split the biscuits in half and butter the inside of each half.
Tear ham into biscuit-sized pieces and sandwich a couple of small pieces inside each biscuit.
Before serving, butter biscuit tops with remaining melted butter.