- Yield:5 to 6
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1/2 to 2 fish heads, depending on size, about 5 pounds total
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red or green Thai curry paste
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce or anchovy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 can coconut milk, about 12 ounces
- 3 medium size asian eggplants, cut int 1 inch rounds
- Handful of bird's eye chilies
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- Juice of 3 limes
Rinse the fish heads under cold water. If they are bloody, soak them in a basin of water and rinse again.
Heat the oil in a large deep pot over ow heat. Add the curry paste and cook until the paste is fragrant and beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat.
Add the fish sauce, sugar, and coconut milk, and chilies. Bring to a boil.
In the meantime, brown the eggplant in a few tablespoons of oil or roast them in a 350°F oven until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Add the fish head and the eggplant to the curry coconut mixture. Add enough water to cover the fish head entirely. Bring to a steady simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the flesh is tender and just cooked through. Just before serving, stir in the basil leaves.