- Yield:3 or 4
- 1 1/2 pounds beef ribe eye, beef short rib, or pork shoulder, sliced 1/3-inch thick across the grain
- 3 tablespoons red chili pepper powder, optional
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pear juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced or grated garlic
- 2 tablespons mirin
- 1 stalk roughly chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup roughly diced onion
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
Put all ingredients except meat in bowl and mix well. If making non-spicy version, omit chili pepper powder. Add meat, taking care the sauce evenly coats slices of meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let marinate at least 2 hours and up to one day before cooking.
To cook: heat a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil or fat if skillet is not well-seasoned. Add slices of meat and let brown until the surface of meat is slightly caramelized but still tender inside, 20 to 30 seconds per side. Alternatively, broil meat for 60 seconds, taking care that meat does not scorch or cook unevenly. Eat slices of meat with lettuce leaves and accompanying sauces and seasonings.