- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (preferably made yourself from stale bread)
- 2 eggs, beaten to combine, 1 tablespoon reserved for egg wash
- Dough for 2 10 inch pie crusts, either home-made or purchased
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
In a large bowl, combine pork, cheese, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon mustard, bread crumbs, and all but 1 tablespoon eggs. Set aside
Roll out pie dough. Use a 4-inch biscuit cutter to cut 12 circles out of dough. Place each 4-inch circle in the bottom of a cupcake holder. Roll out the remaining dough. Cut twelve 2-inch circles out of remaining dough. If you have scraps, keep those as well.
Fill each cupcake holder with pork filling. Top with a 2-inch circle of dough. Press together with bottom disk of dough. There should be some spaces between the two disks of dough, but if they are mostly sealed, then use a fork to poke a few holes in the top circle of dough to let steam escape. Add a few drops of water to the remaining egg. Brush the egg wash over the tops of the pies. Bake until dough is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve with mustard on the side.