- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 8 ounces calf's liver
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 block soft tofu, about 16 ounces
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup medium-chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons hot chili bean paste
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans, crushed
- 2 teaspoon roasted and ground chile pepper
- 1 cup meat or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
- To garnish:
- 1/2 tsp roasted and ground Sichuan peppercorns
- More green onion, finely chopped
- Chili oil to taste
Cut liver and tofu into 1/2 inch cubes. In mixing bowl, toss liver with cornstarch until evenly coated.
Heat the wok on high, add oil, and add cubed liver. Do not disturb for 20 seconds, allowing liver to brown. Cook just until liver is lightly browned on outside and still rare inside, about 10 seconds longer. Remove liver from oil and set aside.
Turn down heat to low, add green onions and chili bean paste and stir fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add black beans and ground chilies and stir-fry for 10 seconds longer. Add a pinch of roasted and ground sichuan peppercorns and stir to mix.
Pour in stock and add tofu. Gently mix so to not break up the tofu. Add sugar, soy sauce, and salt. Simmer until bean curd has absorbed the flavor, about 3 minutes longer. Add reserved liver back to wok and simmer for 30 seconds longer, mixing gently.
Add the cornstarch mixture and stir gently until the sauce has just thickened, about 20 seconds. Garnish with more green onion, chili oil, and roasted and ground sichuan peppercorns. Serve immediately with rice.