The flavor of this salt is a heady combination of bright citrus, mellow licorice, and serious heat. It would be perfect with chicken, pork, or beef. It would also be a great seasoning for roasted Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, or butternut squash. Or, use it to flavor your next batch of focaccia.
It will keep for up to six months, stored in a cool, dry place, and would make a great hostess gift or dinner party favor.
- 1/4 cup freshly grated lemon zest (about three large lemons)
- 1/4 cup coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup flaky sea salt, such as fleur de sel
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed with a knife
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 300º. Spread lemon zest on baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes. Stir zest and continue to bake until dry to the touch, about 5 minutes more. Remove baking sheet from oven and allow zest to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the kosher salt, flaky sea salt, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes. Add lemon zest and stir until evenly distributed. Divide the salt mixture between 2 (4-ounce) jars with tight-fitting lids. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.