This recipe appears in:5 Spices You Need to Start Cooking More Indian Food
- 3 pounds chicken pieces (thighs and breast), skinless
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 plum tomatoes, dieced (canned whole tomatoes are fine)
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
Heat a heavy bottom pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and heat for a few seconds. Then add the cumin seeds and heat till they begin to sizzle - about 30 to 40 seconds.
Add the sliced onions and a teaspoon of salt. Stir well and cook until caramelized and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
When the onions are nice and brown add the ginger, garlic, cayenne, cumin powder and coriander powder. Stir well and cook the onions with the spices for a couple of minutes.
Lower the heat and add the chicken pieces. Stir well to coat the chicken with the spiced onions. If the mixture sticks to the pan, add 1/4 of water and stir.
Brown the chicken for about 5 minutes in the onions, and then add the tomatoes. Add another ½ cup of water. Stir well.
Let the mixture come to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Taste for seasoning. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.