- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/3 cup finely diced candied ginger (optional)
- granulated sugar for rolling
Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, salt and cloves in bowl and mix well.
Beat butter and sugar together in bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.
Add egg and molasses. Mix to combine well. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in candied ginger if using. Refrigerate batter 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls. Roll balls in granulated sugar. Arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake in oven until set and crinkled on top, about 12 minutes. Remove and cool.