- 1 pound Great Northern beans, soaked at least 8 hours
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
Drain beans and place them in large saucepan. Add fresh water to cover beans by about inch. Bring to a boil, then adjust heat so beans simmer gently, uncovered. Cook about 1 hour, or until tender. Drain.
Place beans in 3-quart bean pot or casserole. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Bake, covered, in preheated 300º oven until beans are tender again and colored as brown as the sauce around them, about 6 hours. Stir beans at least once an hour while they cook. Serve.