This recipe appears in:The Crisper Whisperer: Gobble-Worthy Cruciferous Side Dishes
This festive recipe makes a fitting holiday side dish. You can prepare it through step three a day in advance. Reheat the components separately and combine them shortly before serving.
- 2 bunches Lacinato kale (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced or grated on microplane
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock or water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3/4 cup walnut halves, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Wash kale and shake to remove excess water, leaving some water clinging to leaves. Strip leaves from stems and discard stems. Cut leaves crosswise into bite-sized pieces.
In large Dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add stock and vinegar and raise heat to high. Begin adding kale by the handful, pausing to let it wilt as necessary, until all the kale is in the pot. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is very tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in medium skillet, heat remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions along with pinch salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and reduced to half their original volume, about 20 minutes. Add chopped walnuts and cook 5 minutes more.
Stir onions, walnuts and blue cheese into kale. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.