This recipe appears in:A Diabetic-Friendly Thanksgiving Menu from Chef Tom Valenti
From chef Tom Valenti's You Don't Have to Be Diabetic to Love This Cookbook
- 1 can (15 ounces) 100% pure pumpkin
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
Put the pumpkin in a mixing bowl and mash it up with a fork. Add the cream cheese, melted butter, sugar, egg and egg yolks, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and blend with a hand mixer until well incorporated.
Put the softened butter and graham cracker crumbs in a bowl and mix them together with a fork. Press the crumb mixture into the bottoms of ten foil ramekins. Put the tins on the refrigerator and chill them for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Divide the pumpkin filling among the tins. Set the tins in a roasting pan and pour warm water into the roasting pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the tins. Bake until the miniature pies are set (a toothpick inserted into the center of a pie will come out clean), 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Carefully remove the tins from the pan with tongs or pot holder and let cool, then refrigerate the pies until set, about 2 hours or up to overnight. Serve the pies cold.