- 1 pound pork ribs, cut lengthwise across each rib bone into 1 inch segments
- 1 pound taro root (about 1 large)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried fermented black beans, mashed in a mortar and pestle
- 2 thinly sliced jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or light soy sauce
- 4 cloves minced garlic
In a medium-sized bowl, combine cubes of pork rib with mashed black beans, garlic, and salt, mixing to evenly distribute. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 30.
Prepare your steamer and bring water underneath steamer to a boil.
In a medium sized bowl, combine the marinated ribs, along with juices in the bowl and black beans and garlic, with the cubes of taro. Place bowl in steamer and steam over high heat for 45 minutes until cubes of pork and taro are tender. Garnish with slices of jalapeno and soy sauce or fish sauce to taste, about one tablespoon of either. Serve immediately. Leftovers may be refrigerated and reheated by steaming over low heat.