This recipe appears in:How to Make Pumpkin Butter
Just because it's made from canned pumpkins doesn't mean this pumpkin butter second-rate. I found that Farmer's Market brand organic pumpkin, in particular, has a silky smooth texture.
- One (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin butter is thick and spreadable and the bubbles that form in it burst very slowly, about 20 minutes.
Allow the pumpkin butter to cool to room temperature. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.