- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:60 minutes
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced, roasted green chilies, drained
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (7.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) can creamed corn
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 9-inch cake pan or prepare muffin pan for filling.
With electric mixer set to medium speed, cream together butter and sugar until well-blended and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, green chilies, creamed corn and grated cheese. Mix for 30 seconds on low or until chilies are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Gently fold the dry mix into wet mixture, taking care not to overmix. No dry flour should remain, but mixture should still be lumpy. Fill cake pan or muffin tin with mixture.
Bake until top of cornbread is light, toasted brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes for muffins for up to 40 minutes for cake pan. Transfer pan to wire cooling rack and allow to rest 15 minutes before removing. Serve warm or at room temperature.