This recipe appears in:Serious Entertaining: An Italian Harvest Vegetarian Dinner Party
I love this high-flavor, low-calorie appetizer for lots of reasons, the biggest being the ability to make it ahead. These peppers marinate beautifully, covered and chilled, up to three days.
If you don't want to go through the trouble of roasting your own peppers, you can purchase roasted red peppers for an even speedier snack.
- 3 large red bell peppers (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or more to taste)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced or grated on microplane (about 1 teaspoon_
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
Turn flames on burner to high. Place peppers directly on top of flames and roast, turning often with tongs, until skins are completely black, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Allow to steam for 10 minutes, then peel off and discard skin. Remove stems and seeds and discard.
Cut peppers lengthwise into 1-inch-wide strips and add to bowl. Add balsamic vinegar, capers, garlic, and parsley. Toss gently to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more vinegar to taste if desired. Store peppers in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to three days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.