Adapted freely from Chef Ryan Scott
Quick Summer Squash Salad
About This Recipe
|Active time:||30 minutes, plus one hour for chilling squash|
|Total time:||1 hour and 30 minutes|
|Special equipment:||Knife, skillet, refrigerator for chilling|
|This recipe appears in:||Serious Salad: Summer Squash Ate My Garden|
- 4 medium summer squash or 8 small summer squash, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced or 2 cups cherry red and yellow tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups of arugula lettuce
- Croutons or cut-up pita bread
Cook sliced squash in a large, nonstick skillet at medium-to-high heat until tender or slightly brown, as desired.
Whisk or shake lemon juice and olive oil into an emulsion.
Marinate squash in the dressing mixture and chill to desired temperature.
Toss arugula and tomato slices with squash and dressing mixture. Divide onto four plates.
Finish with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Add croutons or pita bread quarters to garnish, if desired.
This salad makes a nice accompaniment with hummus or roasted chickpeas.