Adapted from the Claremont Diner in New Jersey
Kosher Coleslaw (Health Salad)
About This Recipe
|Yield:||2 to 4 as a side dish|
|Active time:||10 minutes (not counting chopping)|
|Total time:||2 hours (or more, for chilling)|
|Special equipment:||If shredding the cabbage, a food processor or sharp knife|
|This recipe appears in:||Serious Salad: Kosher Coleslaw|
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage, radicchio, and carrots
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of a neutral –tasting oil, like canola
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Create an emulsion of the vinegar and the oil, blending thoroughly. Add sugar if desired. Salt to taste.
Marinate shredded vegetables in the mixture. Chill until quite cold (approximately 2 hours). Add additional oil or vinegar if desired.
Sprinkle with pepper before serving.