- 1 pound shrimp, shell-on
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, for coating the shrimp
- Oil for deep-frying, about one quart
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- Several cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon hot bean paste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
Coat the shrimp with cornstarch and set aside. Meanwhile, heat the oil in the wok.
Deep fry the shrimp for two minutes or less, until the shells are golden brown
Remove the shrimp from the wok and pour off all but a tablespoon of the oil. Stir-fry the garlic, green onion, and ginger for a minute, then add the rest of the ingredients to the wok. Let the sauce boil down until it's thick and syrupy, about five minutes.
Reintroduce the shrimp to the wok and stir around to coat the shrimp in the sauce. Serve immediately.