Yard-long Beans with Kabocha and Coconut Milk
- 1 pound yard-long beans, cut into 2-inch slices
- 1/4 pound kabocha, cubed into 1/2 inch segments
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil or lard
- 1-inch piece galangal or ginger, crushed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the kabocha, curry powder if you're using, galangal, and turmeric to the pot and stir-around, letting the cubes of squash lightly brown. Add the shrimp paste and cook for a minute longer.
Add the beans and cook for another 2 minutes, until the beans are lightly browned.
Add the coconut milk, water, sugar, and salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) to the pot and let the liquid simmer for 20 minutes, until the beans and squash are tender but not mushy. Serve warm.