Mike Mills' Apple City Barbecue Sauce
About This Recipe
|This recipe appears in:||Serious Heat: What's Your Secret Ingredient for Barbecue Sauce?|
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice or cider
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 3/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paprika.
- 1/3 cup bacon bits (cooked applewood-smoked bacon ground in a spice grinder)
- 1/2 cup grated onion
In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the grated onion, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Stir in the onion. Reduced the heat, and simmer uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring often.
Allow to cool, and use immediately or pour into sterilized glass containers.