This recipe appears in:Weekend Baking Project: Peepshi (Peeps Sushi) The Peepshi Phenomenon: A Look at All of Your Peepshi Photos This Week's Tasty 10 Peepza = Peeps on a Pizza
Looking to expand your Peeps palate this Easter Sunday? There's no place like Serious Eats to satisfy all your sugar-encrusted marshmallow needs and desires. Continuing in the grand Peeps Week tradition, here's our offering for any occasion that calls for awesome and fun all at once: Peepshi.
The first issue. What do we call this lovechild of Easter and Japan? Peepushi? Susheep? Sadly, this is where my Asian Studies major failed to come in handy. Maybe I should have asked my adviser? Too bad his specialty is Japanese economics. Thankfully, Erin saved us from self-destruction with "Peepshi," a term we'll be adding to our modern Peeps lexicon.
Crisis averted, we could now move onto beheading Peeps. Yes, Peepshi will require some hard decisions, but the end results are worth it.
With glossy spreads from Masaharu Morimoto's The New Art of Japanese Cooking book out for inspiration, Carey, Erin, and I proceeded to fulfill our deepest Peepshi boat fantasies.
A Primer on Peepshi Traditions
The Peepshi tradition calls for certain deviations from the standard sushi-eating customs you're used to seeing at, say, a sushi bar. Since Serious Eats has come to embody the contemporary Peeps revolution, I feel comfortable in providing a beginner's guide to enjoying Peepshi. It can be a roller coaster ride of sugar, and let me just say that you never want to be the first person booting at a Peeps party.
1. There is no wasabi. Same goes for ginger. Peeps are sassy enough on their own. (We tried smashing up a green Peep for a wasabi-esque condiment, but decided against this.)
2. Do not eat an entire Peeps roll. Unless it's a challenge. (Honor must be kept at all costs.)
3. Use the extra Peeps bodies (there will be many) to create your own Peeps diorama!
4. Room temperature water is the ideal companion to Peepshi. Too cold and the sugar feels gritty in a bad way. Too hot and then, you're just drinking hot water.
5. Don't let silent Peeps screams deter you from your task. You're a professional.
Peepza = Peeps + Pizza »
Peeps Krispies Treats »
Cakespy's Peeps Fluffernutter »
Deep-Fried Peeps »
How to Make Peeps from Scratch »
SE's Peeps Diorama »
Video: Peeps Microwave Disaster »
You Might Like Chocolate-Covered Peeps »
- 6 Peeps per roll, 1 Peep per handroll, 1 Peep per nigiri
- 1 box of Rice Krispies Treats
- 1 box of Fruit by the Foot
Slice off six 3/16th inch slices lengthwise from a Rice Krispies Treat (Please don't kill yourself trying to get exactly 3/16 inches. There are more important things to worry about, like beheading Peeps!).
Execute six Peeps of your color choice by decapitation. Cut off more neck than you think is appropriate. If necessary, you can trim off more later.
Portion out a length of Fruit by the Foot slightly longer than the Rice Krispies Treat slice.
Flatten and elongate the Rice Krispies Treat slice slightly and shape it into a hollow circle. It's okay if it breaks, just mold it back together again.
Take a Peep head and tuck it into the top of the hollow Rice Krispies treat cylinder. Use a toothpick or tip of the a knife to help get it snug.
Wrap the Fruit by the Foot strip around your roll. Some folding and nipping may be necessary to get the cleanest look.
Serve at room temperature.